Skip to main content Skip to home page

This impressive smock–style, four–vaned windmill was built in 1812 and used in Warren, RI in connection with a whiskey distillery. It has an unusual feature—two sets of grinding stones whose doubled capacity could be lucrative for its owner. Not surprisingly then, it was moved a total of three times; first to Fall River, Massachusetts then two more times to Portsmouth, Rhode Island by millers who acquired it, first by Robert Sherman to Quaker Hill (East Main Road), then to Lehigh Hill (West Main Road).

In the early 1900s, the Sherman Mill was converted to gasoline power in an effort to keep it up-to-date. Unfortunately, it became idle in the early 20th century and remained so, in ever deteriorating condition, until the NRF acquired it in 1969 and moved it to Prescott Farm. The mill was restored by the NRF in 1971, with additional work done in the 1980s and a new shaft installed in 1998. Today the mill is a striking addition to the landscape of Prescott Farm and open to the public on select occasions.

Preservation property detailimage

Photo of the windmill during restoration.

Back to top