NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Tour Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Open late March to November.
Experience the only museum in the world specializing in 18th-century Newport furniture and related decorative arts. Open late May to October.
Explore 40 acres of open space, a tribute to the agrarian heritage of Aquidneck Island. The site is open daily from dawn to dusk for public enjoyment.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Help us to continue a lived-in legacy by becoming a Restoration Partner today.
A joint program of the Newport Restoration Foundation and the City of Newport, the annual Doris Duke Historic Preservation Awards encourage excellence in historic preservation efforts within Newport and across Aquidneck Island by recognizing exemplary preservation projects and educational activities, and acknowledging individuals who have made significant contributions to the preservation of the built environment.
Henrietta Lieber House (1882)
Rhode Island Avenue, Newport, RI
Awarded to Mr. Hendrik and Mrs. Siobhan Kits van Heyningen for their exterior restoration of the late-19th century Shingle Style/Queen Anne house in the Kay-Catherine-Old Beach National Register Historic District. The 1882 house was originally designed by Newport architect, Dudley Newton. The home had been in the Kits van Heyningen family since the mid-1960s, but had fallen into disrepair for years after being abandoned following the passing of Hendrik’s grandparents. The Kits van Heyningens took on the home, and researched and reproduced the character-defining details that have now restored the house to a presentation closely matching its original. Highlights of the project included restoring the second-floor balcony on the front elevation (extended in the 1970s) back to its original size, matching custom mahogany trim to replace rotted and damaged pieces, and recreating missing balusters, railings, and corbels on the porch to match their original design. Single pane, historic-replica sashes for four windows were also fabricated to recreate the original 30-over-1 style. After extensive work and care, this restoration contributes to the preservation of the Kay-Catherine-Old Beach historic district and its late-19th century architecture for many more generations to enjoy.
St. John's Masonry Preservation (1894)
Poplar Street, Newport, RI
Awarded to Father Nathan Humphrey; recognized for the preservation of a historic church located in the Point Neighborhood. The structure was originally built in 1894, when Sarah Titus Zabriskie heard of a young church founded by Peter Quire, an African American, named St. John’s that was in financial straits. Zabriskie donated $100,000 toward the building of the Zabriskie Memorial Church for St. John’s in memory of her late mother, Sarah Jane Zabriskie. The interior wall surfaces at St. John's Church were damaged from decades of water intrusion. In 2019, the root causes of the deterioration, leaking roofs and gutters, were addressed with a roof repair utilizing both historic and new roof tiles, snow guards, gutters, and flashing. However, the next area of concern was the masonry walls, which were deteriorating, especially at the mortar joints. A repointing process removed and replaced deteriorated mortar, restoring the visual and physical integrity of the masonry. From the color and texture of mortar to the tools used in the repair, the masonry work is both physically and visually appropriate. Through their steadfast commitment to honoring the history of the building, St. John's continues to carry on the legacies of Peter Quire and Sarah Titus Zabriskie's to this day.
James and Alice Ross
Mr. & Mrs. Mortimer Berkowitz III
EJMP Fund for Philanthropy
Dr. Holly Bannister and
Mr. Douglas Newhouse
Lisa Whisler Garavanta
Mr. John D. Harris II &
Ms. Linda Sawyer
Bowen’s Wharf Company
D.F. Dwyer Insurance Agency
Kim and Glenn Darden
Gustave White Sotheby’s Int’l Realty
Ms. Stefani Hulitar
Victoria Leiter Mele
Peter and Susan Metzger
Newport Lamp and Shade Co., Inc.
Sandra Liotus Lighting Design, LLC
Betsy and Wally Turner, in honor of Victoria Mele
Lynne and Armin Allen
M. Therese Antone
B.R. Arnold Construction Co., Inc.
Citrin Cooperman & Company, LLP
Fairfax and Sammons Architects Inc.
Farrar Associates, Inc.
Lloyd and Hope Griscom
Ivy Wealth Management
Joseph Gnazzo Company
Salve Regina University
Diana Pearson Scheetz in memory of Nicholas B. Scheetz
Major General & Mrs.
Stephen R. Seiter