NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Tour Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Open late March to November.
Experience the only museum in the world specializing in 18th-century Newport furniture and related decorative arts. Open late May to October.
Explore 40 acres of open space, a tribute to the agrarian heritage of Aquidneck Island. The site is open daily from dawn to dusk for public enjoyment.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Help us to continue a lived-in legacy by becoming a Restoration Partner today.
Newport, RI – The 12th annual Doris Duke Preservation Awards will recognize three recent projects for their contributions to preserving Newport’s architectural heritage and character. The awards will be presented on Friday, September 7, 2018 at a celebration at Rough Point, the Newport home of preservationist and philanthropist Doris Duke. The event will also commemorate and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Newport Restoration Foundation.
The Doris Duke Preservation Awards is a collaboration of the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) and the City of Newport. The awards encourage and recognize restoration and rehabilitation projects that intend to preserve the intact historic character, landscape, and/or distinguishing features of buildings and sites of all types and periods. The award winners were chosen by a jury comprised of representatives from the Newport Restoration Foundation, the City of Newport, and individuals involved in historic preservation at the local and state levels.
This year, we recognize the following projects:
The Cattle Crib (1916), Beacon Hill Road, Newport, RI, Owned by Mark and Leslie Hull; recognized for the adaptive reuse of a former early twentieth century livestock pen, which had fallen into neglect during the past few decades. The structure was originally part of Swiss Village – previously known as Surprise Valley farm and associated to the Arthur Curtis James estate. The building was abandoned for farm use many decades ago and along with several adjacent farm buildings, was left to eventually deteriorate to a dilapidated state. This historic farm building has been completely renovated in an effort to bring back its original character, and is currently enjoyed by the property owners as a passive retreat.
26 – 30 Washington Square (1931), Newport, RI, Awarded to GA Washington Square, LLC; recognized for successfully reinvigorating a commercial space in Washington Square. The property is a two-story Colonial Revival brick masonry structure, built in 1931. The building has traditionally been used as office space on the second floor and commercial space on the first floor. The project, completed in 2017, restored the exterior above the storefront, replaced windows, cleaned and repointed masonry, and replicated the missing gable ornament, while also remolding the interior space. The building is presently home to the restaurant, Stoneacre Brasserie.
The Blue Garden (1911–1918), Beacon Hill Road, Newport, RI, Awarded posthumously to Dorrance “Dodo” Hill Hamilton; recognized for rebuilding an original historic landscape design to fit modern standards. The Blue Garden was first designed for Arthur Curtiss and Harriet Parsons James by Fredrick Law Olmstead Jr. After their passing in 1941, attention paid to maintain this labor-intensive property plummeted, and continued to be neglected after being subdivided and purchased by developers. In 2012, the property was purchased by Dorrance H. Hamilton — a noted philanthropist and garden enthusiast — and the restoration process began. Architects utilized original Olmsted dimensioned drawings to specify the rebuilding of garden structures to modern code and his plans were reinterpreted to keep the original intent but provide for more sustainable future management. Today, the Blue Garden is open by appointment to those who are affiliated with a group or institutions involved in gardens, design, the arts, maintenance, horticulture, historic preservation, landscape architecture, architecture, and education.
A special recognition will be conferred upon John Peixinho for being the inspiration behind the Doris Duke Preservation Awards.
“This year’s award winners are very different from one another, but all three serve as excellent reminders that preservation is alive and well in Newport,” said Mark Thompson, NRF’s Executive Director. “The winners include the transformation of an early 20th century livestock pen into a passive retreat, the rehabilitation of a highly-visible commercial building on Washington Square, and the restoration of a historically-significant landscape and garden. With the City of Newport, we look forward to celebrating these three wonderful projects and acknowledging the contributions of Mr. Peixinho at the awards ceremony on Friday, September 7.”
Since its inception 12 years ago, the Doris Duke Preservation Awards have raised over $400,000 to support historic preservation in Newport. Doris Duke established the Newport Restoration Foundation in 1968 with a radical idea: rescue and restore Newport’s oldest houses — which were, by-and-large, deteriorated and threatened by demolition — and lease them to resident-stewards with a corps of skilled craftsmen on staff to maintain them to top standards. The Awards, which provide crucial support to NRF’s continued efforts in advancing historic preservation activities, are named in her honor.
To date, support for the 2018 Doris Duke Preservation Awards has been provided by:
Platinum Sponsorship: Edith McBean, James H. Ross, Lisette Prince, Mr. & Mrs. Mortimer Berkowitz III
Gold Sponsorship: Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel M. Mencoff
Silver Sponsorship (Doris Duke Circle): James D. Berwind, Marion Oates Charles, Bob & Wini Galkin Fund, Pamela & David B. Ford, G. Stanton Geary, Angela Giguere-Kumble, Slocum, Gordon & Co. LLP, Stefani Hulitar, Anne & Matt Hamilton, Juliette Clagett McLennan, John D. Harris & Linda Sawyer, Hope H. van Beuren
Bronze Sponsorship: AquaGuard, LLC, AR-Global, Armin B. Allen, Bowen’s Wharf Co., Inc., Dwyer Insurance Agency, Home & Commercial Security, Inc., Gayle & Roger Mandle, Joseph & Victoria Mele, Joseph W. McCarthy, Roger Williams University, Sandra Liotus Lighting Design, LLC
Patron Sponsorship: Citrin Cooperman, Mr. & Mrs. George G. Herrick, Dr. & Mrs. E. G. Fischer, Philip C. Marshall, Pierre F.V. Merle, The Preservation Society of Newport County, Diana Pearson, Salve Regina University, Mr. & Mrs. Frank N. Ray
In-Kind Sponsorship: Blackstone Caterers, Exquisite Events, Land’s End Limo, Newport Tent Company,
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.newportrestoration.org/ddpa.
About the Newport Restoration Foundation
Founded in 1968, the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) is dedicated to promoting and investing in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke's fine and decorative arts collection, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all. NRF also supports research and education in areas that relate directly to its collections and to issue of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
NRF is on Twitter @NPTRestoration, Facebook /NPTRestoration and Instagram @NPTRestoration. Visit newportrestoration.org for more information.