NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Opening July 1, 2023: NRF and Art&Newport are excited to present a group artists exhibition on cards and card playing: Games, Gamblers & Cartomancers: The New Cardsharps
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Walking through Rough Point on Mother’s Day, I’m particularly aware of the mothers looking on from their gilded-framed perches. Nanaline Holt Inman Duke’s presence via portrait is mere inches away as we walk upstairs to what was her bedroom, now arranged as her daughter, Doris Duke, decorated it and used it a few decades ago. Nanaline Duke was born and raised in Macon, Georgia; a self-possessed beauty, more “steel magnolia” than “Georgia peach.” It was her desire to join the elite families from the south and New York City who summered in Newport that had the family first renting “summer cottages,” and later buying Frederick Vanderbilt’s Rough Point in 1922. Doris, Nanaline’s only daughter, inherited Rough Point upon the death of her father, James Buchanan Duke, in 1925.
Doris’s 1923 portrait by John DaCosta is displayed next to her mother’s, at the top of the stairs. Both mother and daughter are, to borrow from the Sound of Music, “girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes.” Nanaline and Doris’ possessions are interspersed throughout the house: co-existing in the bedroom and adjoining bathroom and highlighting gifts passed from one generation to the next. Hanging in the bathroom are Nanaline’s Chinese watercolors of birds. These predate daughter Doris’ 1958/9 auction purchases of 18th-century hand-painted Chinese wallpapers depicting blossoming peony trees, exotic birds, and butterflies, now on display in the Music Room. On the crystal vanity sits an 18-karat gold Tiffany & Co. dresser set. This fifteen-piece ensemble, likely a gift to her mother, was passed on to Doris. Above Doris’s bed is an embroidered chinoiserie scene on a silk satin panel that once belonged to her mother. Characteristic of Doris’s taste and design sensibilities, practical white cotton eyelet dust ruffle and canopy from J.C. Penney-with price tags in place (!) complement the fancier room accents.
The connection between mother and daughter’s taste in collecting continues throughout the house. The Dining Room features a pair of Brussels Gothic tapestries from the early 16th century on display at either end of the dining table. Nanaline purchased these from Duveen Brothers (their 720 Fifth Avenue gallery was just twenty blocks south of the Duke’s mansion at 1 East 78th Street in Manhattan) in 1923 before leaving on a mother-daughter European sojourn the next day. In 1953 they were donated to Duke University and hung in the reference room of the west campus library. Doris asked for the tapestries back in 1957 and they came to Rough Point that July.
By Kathleen Weathers, Rough Point Tour Guide
2023 DDPA recipients represent a wide variety of projects across Newport.
President Frankie Vagnone sat down with Newport This Week to discuss the Vernon House, and the future of NRF.
Art&Newport and the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) are pleased to announce the opening of a contemporary art exhibit at 46 Clarke Street, otherwise known as “The Vernon House.”