NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Tour Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Open April to November.
Experience the only museum in the world specializing in 18th-century Newport furniture and related decorative arts.
Explore 40 acres of open space, a tribute to the agrarian heritage of Aquidneck Island. The site is open daily from dawn to dusk for public enjoyment.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Help us to continue a lived-in legacy by becoming a Restoration Partner today.
Job Title: Tour Guide
Department: Education and Public Programs
Supervisor: Manager of Frontline Operations
Category: Seasonal; part-time; non-exempt (hourly)
Tour Guides are integral members of the Education and Public Programs team and are ambassadors for the NRF. They are expert storytellers who interpret the history and collections at our three museum properties (Rough Point, Whitehorne House Museum, and Prescott Farm) to audiences of all ages and backgrounds. Successful guides will possess exceptional interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, adaptability, and, above all, enthusiasm for making art and history accessible to the public. They will lead guided tours, facilitate self-guided tours, and assist with special programs and events at each museum.
Duties and Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
1. Create engaging experiences for audiences of all ages, interests, and backgrounds. Draw on a variety of interpretive techniques to tailor content and delivery for diverse audiences.
2. Learn and lead 50 minute guided tours and help facilitate self-guided tours for the general public and for special groups.
3. Develop a thorough working knowledge of the collections, stories, and themes relevant to each site by participating in trainings and studying provided materials.
4. Make a commitment to ongoing development of interpretive skills according to best practices in the field. Attend training sessions and read training materials.
5. Support the education department’s public programming and other mission-related activities, including program and event preparation, set-up/take-down, and staffing.
6. Provide administrative and visitor services support at Rough Point, as needed, including friendly orientation for the public, replenishment of merchandise and collateral, elevator and other accessibility assistance, breaks for front desk and front gate personnel.
7. Monitor the safety and comfort of visitors. Be familiar with emergency procedures.
8. Monitor facilities and collections as appropriate and report issues to appropriate staff.
9. Remain up-to-date with NRF initiatives, programs, policies, and procedures.
10. Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree in history, education, liberal arts, art history, communications, museum studies, or related field preferred.
• Experience working with the public, particularly in museum, educational, or customer service roles; ability to manage large groups of children and adults.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences; excellent public speaking abilities.
• Be able to learn and deliver a 50 minute guided tour to diverse groups of visitors.
• Strong interest in relevant areas of history, art history, education best practices, and enthusiasm for ongoing learning in these areas.
• Must be friendly, outgoing, a team player, and adaptable to changing scenarios.
• Maintain an active email account and respond to all business emails within 2 business days.
• Must be able to climb stairs, walk, and stand for at least 60 minutes.
• Must be willing to work evenings and weekend days. Must have availability three days per week (including one weekend day).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until Friday, February 29, 2020. EOE.
NRF is hiring a seasonal painter as well, from April through October
Visitor Services Associates at the Front Gate facilitate the daily circulation of visitors at Rough Point Museum and are the first and last point of contact. They ensure the entry, orientation, and exit sequence at Rough Point is run professionally and that the visiting public feels welcomed.
The Supervisor on Duty facilitates the daily front of house operations at Rough Point or Whitehorne Museum, while maintaining the highest level of friendly and helpful customer service.
The Newport Restoration Foundation is seeking a full-time carpenter to join our staff.