NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Tour Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Open April to November.
Experience the only museum in the world specializing in 18th-century Newport furniture and related decorative arts.
Explore 40 acres of open space, a tribute to the agrarian heritage of Aquidneck Island. The site is open daily from dawn to dusk for public enjoyment.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Help us to continue a lived-in legacy by becoming a Restoration Partner today.
Title: Supervisor on Duty – Rough Point and Whitehorne Museums
Classification: Part-time seasonal (hourly, non-exempt)
Reports to: Manager of Frontline Operations
The Supervisor on Duty facilitates the daily front of house operations at Rough Point or Whitehorne Museum, while maintaining the highest level of friendly and helpful customer service. He/ she is primarily responsible for greeting visitors as they enter the museum, processing admission and merchandise sales, coordinating with front of house staff, and completing end of day administrative reports. The ideal candidate is friendly, energetic, flexible, and comfortable working in a dynamic environment with diverse visitors and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
1. Provide a welcoming and friendly visitor experience to guests in person and over the phone.
2. Responsible for the smooth and efficient running of the front of house ticket sales and retail operations. Produces accurate daily reports of attendance, revenue, and other visitor data.
3. Act as point person for daily communication and coordination with tour guides; including, leading daily briefings with guide staff, relaying communication from museum administrative staff, and confirming full daily staff coverage for tours and programs/ events.
4. Perform daily opening and closing procedures in coordination with housekeeping staff, including unlocking/ locking and disarming/ arming the museum.
5. Replenish merchandise and collateral materials in visitor service areas. Ensure that merchandise is attractively displayed and that the front area is kept tidy and welcoming.
6. Ensure public spaces are clean and fit for public use; monitor facilities and collections as appropriate; reports any issues to appropriate staff.
7. Develop a robust knowledge of each museum’s collections and history, and participate in educational training sessions prior to and throughout the season.
8. General familiarity with area attractions and amenities to make informed recommendations to visitors on an as needed basis.
9. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of NRF’s policies and emergency procedures.
10. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Must have a positive and friendly attitude, and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds.
• A minimum of 1 year visitor service experience required, preferably in the museum/ hospitality industry.
• A minimum of 1 year cash handling/ point of sale/ ticketing experience. Experience with TAM Retail a plus.
• Strong phone and computer skills; ability to learn and master NRF’s POS management system; proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
• Ability to adapt, troubleshoot, and exercise sound judgement in response to changing scenarios; creative, flexible, and a team player.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Working knowledge of Newport and tourism industry preferred.
• Must be able to climb stairs and lift and carry 20 lbs.
• Must be willing to work weekends and some evenings. The hours are 9:30 am until closing procedure is complete (Rough Point closes at 5:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays-Sundays and at 7:00 pm on Wednesdays). Willingness to work flexible hours as required, and must be available at least 3 days per week plus one weekend day.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Applications accepted until Friday, February 29, 2020. EOE.
NRF is hiring a seasonal painter as well, from April through October
Visitor Services Associates at the Front Gate facilitate the daily circulation of visitors at Rough Point Museum and are the first and last point of contact. They ensure the entry, orientation, and exit sequence at Rough Point is run professionally and that the visiting public feels welcomed.
Guides are integral members of the Education and Public Programs team at NRF. They are champion storytellers who interpret for audiences of all ages and backgrounds the history and collections at our three museum properties: Rough Point, Whitehorne House Museum, and Prescott Farm.
The Newport Restoration Foundation is seeking a full-time carpenter to join our staff.