NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Classification: Full-time (hourly, non-exempt)
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Job Summary: We are looking for a focused, industrious, and restoration-passionate accountant, who will play an integral role in maintaining the day-to-day financial records by recording transaction in a timely, accurate and consistent manner. This position specifically works closely with the Tenant Liaison, and the Chief Operating Officer, however they will also enjoy the rest of our supportive and collaborative team.
Salary Range: $55,000 – $65,000 (commensurate with experience), medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, health savings account, 401(k) contribution, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and a generous amount of holidays.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Reconcile, record and deposit cash receipts
• Maintain accounts payables, ensure timely payment of invoices, confirming validity of debt and gathering appropriate signatures
• Reconcile bank and investment statements
• Prepare and post monthly journal entries
• Input biweekly payroll entries
• Maintain accounts receivables, predominantly tenant receivables through a property management software package
• Respond to tenant and vendor inquiries as they arise
• Request and maintain W-9s and liability insurance, as applicable, from vendors
• Prepare annual 1099’s
• Assist with annual budget preparation under the purview of senior management
• Assist with annual audit as well as workers’ comp audit
• Prepare quarterly employer 401k distributions and annual 401k reconciliations
• Process biweekly payroll during absence of Human Resource Administrator
• Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
• Assist with various human resources related projects as necessary
• Respond to inquiries from the Chief Operating Officer regarding financial results, special reporting and the like
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or a related field is preferred
• At least 5 years of accounting experience, preferably 2 in non-profit accounting
• Proficient in the use of QuickBooks desktop version and some familiarity of payroll software
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office, mainly Excel
• Knowledge of accounting principles and practices
• Good judgement, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
• Exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality with regard to sensitive information
• Driven, self-motivated, and goal oriented.
• Highly organized, analytical thinker with strong eye for detail
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter and résumé to Maeve Sheehan, Human Resource Administrator via email: Maeve@NewportRestoration.org. The position remains open until filled.
The project begins in 2024 at 38 Green Street
The Phase I restoration at Rough Point has been awarded a 2023 AIA Honor and Design Citation from the American Institute of Architects, Rhode Island.