NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Opening July 1, 2023: NRF and Art&Newport are excited to present a group artists exhibition on cards and card playing: Games, Gamblers & Cartomancers: The New Cardsharps
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
416 Thames Street
Built in 1811, the Samuel Whitehorne House is a rare example of a Federal-style mansion. It features an elegant hipped roof, a classically inspired entry portico, and a formal garden. The interior is highlighted by a grand central hallway, hand-carved details, and a significant collection of 18th-century American furniture.
Samuel Whitehorne Jr. (1779-1844) made a fortune in Newport through a variety of commercial enterprises including rum distilling, banking, and shipping. With the town's economy in shambles after the American Revolution, Whitehorne was one of the Newport's last great merchant princes.
Built on Thames Street and proudly facing the water, Whitehorne's house was a symbol of his prosperity. Unfortunately, after two of his ships were lost at sea, he went bankrupt. Sold at auction in 1844, his house was converted to shops and apartments. It was purchased and restored by the Newport Restoration Foundation in 1969.
Photo of the house before restoration.