NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
35 Green Street
The Brown Farm House is a two-story, four-bay structure with a central chimney. The house originally stood in Middletown, Rhode Island, just off West Main Road where it was built c.1750. The Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) purchased the house from Saint Lucy's Church in 1979, disassembled it, and moved the house to Green Street where it was restored in 1979-80. The house is also referred to by some as St. Lucy's House.
Little history of this house has been uncovered. The building came to NRF with a considerable amount of simple interior trim, much of which was saved and reinstalled or, where necessary, used as a pattern for the making of reproduction moldings and materials. There is a room to each side of the front door, each with a fireplace, and a long keeping room at the back. At each end of the keeping room is a small corner room. The second-floor plan is much the same as that on the first floor.
Photo of the house before restoration.