NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Opening July 1, 2023: NRF and Art&Newport are excited to present a group artists exhibition on cards and card playing: Games, Gamblers & Cartomancers: The New Cardsharps
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
2556 West Main Road
Architecturally the Nichols-Overing House, circa 1730, is built on what is often referred to as the ¾ house plan. Formal 18th century house builders strongly preferred a symmetrical plan with an equal number of windows on either side of the main entrance. Despite the fact that the Overing House is one of the grandest and most formal in the NRF collections, this rural house does not have the full balanced façade that would truly place it in the top rank of high-style houses of its period. It is best described as a 2nd period (1725-1750) house. The scale inside and out is akin to the Hunter House in Newport. The main features are its gambrel roof, interior chimney, high ceilings, excellent woodwork, and a comfortable stair hall. Mr. Overing’s rather grand country house is an interesting counterpoint to the more common and modest house of Mr. Sweet’s on the southern part of the property.
British General Richard Prescott made Mr. Overing's house his country headquarters during the British occupation of Newport during the American Revolution. It was from here that he was captured by Patriot commander Lt. Col. William Barton in an embarrassing night time raid. General Prescott was caught in only his night shirt and the patriot forces refused to allow him to dress before returning to their boats in Narragansett Bay. This story soon spread and earned General Prescott the nickname the Barefoot General. Eventually the local people began to refer to the Overing farm as Prescott Farm, an homage to this early Patriot victory.
Photo of the house before restoration.