NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Visit Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds. Open late March to November.
The Vernon House is a site for expansive story-telling, contemporary dialogue, and preservation trades skill-building.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
2009 West Main Road
Originally located at 855 West Main Road, now the site of fast food restaurants and a hotel, the Sweet-Anthony house was moved to Prescott Farm in 1970. This broad-gable roofed 1½ story farmhouse came with much original woodwork intact. It is a good example of simple rural architecture, complete with additions which were made in the 18th and 19th centuries. It is also valuable as an example of a middle-class farm dwelling, a nice counterpoint to the extravagance of the Nichols-Overing House.
Not much is known about the house prior to its purchase by NRF. The house dates to c. 1730 although the first definitive record of the building is not until 1786. The Anthony family is recorded as having lived in the house from 1786 until 1918 when Joseph S. Anthony left the property to his son-in-law Thomas J. Sweet. It is this transition in ownership that inspired NRF to refer to the house as the Sweet-Anthony House.
The property has been used for a number of different functions by NRF. Initially it was used as living quarters for a farm caretaker and later was used to house NRF staff, interns, an artist-in-residence and is now part of NRF's unique tenant steward program and rented as a private property.
Photo of the house before restoration. Originally located at 855 West Main Road, now the site of fast food restaurants and a hotel, the Sweet-Anthony house was moved to Prescott Farm in 1970.