Skip to main content Skip to home page

The West-Hathaway House is a two-and-a half-story, gable-roof house with two end chimneys, an early chimney addition to the rear, and rural Federal details on the front façade. Built c.1800, the house was originally located in Tiverton, Rhode Island, and donated to the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) in 1977. It was then disassembled and re-located to its current site on Mill Street where it was restored in 1977-78.

The house came to NRF with an amazing ninety-five percent of the interior fabric in place. Sadly, very little of its Tiverton history has found its way to the NRF archives. The loss to Tiverton made way for new houses, while the reassembly in Newport replaced a small parking lot and a one-story, bunker-like structure built of cinder blocks. This added to the streetscape around Trinity Church and the larger development of Queen Anne Square, a project undertaken by NRF with the approval of the City of Newport and the Newport Redevelopment Agency.

Preservation property detailimage

Photo of the house before restoration.

Back to top