NRF promotes and invests in the architectural heritage of the Newport community, the traditional building trades, and Doris Duke’s fine and decorative arts collections, for the enjoyment, education and inspiration of all.
As a leader in the preservation of early American architecture, NRF supports research and education in areas directly related to its collections and issues of critical concern to the field of historic preservation.
Tour Doris Duke’s art-filled mansion and enjoy panoramic ocean views from the extensive grounds, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Open late March to November.
Experience the only museum in the world specializing in 18th-century Newport furniture and related decorative arts. Open late May to October.
Explore 40 acres of open space, a tribute to the agrarian heritage of Aquidneck Island. The site is open daily from dawn to dusk for public enjoyment.
Newport Restoration Foundation holds one of the largest collections of period architecture owned by a single organization anywhere in the United States.
Celebrate excellence in historic preservation efforts within the City of Newport, Rhode Island.
Live amidst history by renting one of our many historic properties.
Help us to continue a lived-in legacy by becoming a Restoration Partner today.
Classification: Full-time (Non-exempt)
Reports to: Paint Supervisor
Job Summary: The Newport Restoration Foundation is seeking an experienced, full-time painter to assist with the preparation and painting of the organization’s unique collection of historic properties. This position will be part of a five-person Paint Crew, which works in tandem with the Carpentry Crew and, collectively, are an integral component of the organization’s Preservation Department. NRF hopes to bring on a painter not only with substantial expertise in the trade, but also strong personnel and project management abilities.
Salary Range:$47,840-$54,080 annually, $23.00-$26.00 per hour (commensurate with experience), medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, health savings account, 401(k) contribution (not a match), 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and a generous amount of holidays.
• Wash, scrape, sand, and smooth interior and exterior surfaces prior to painting, varnishing, or applying other related materials.
• Fill cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, or other fillers using caulking guns or putty knives.
• Remove fixtures such as lamps and electrical switch covers prior to painting.
• Cover surfaces with drop cloths to protect them during the painting process.
• Operate compressors, spray equipment, and other small power equipment.
• Erect various types of scaffolding, staging and ladders to reach surfaces of work area.
• Apply paints, stains, surface preparatory materials and undercoating materials to a variety of surfaces and according to Safety Data Sheets ensuring compliance with hazardous materials guidelines.
• Clean equipment as well as paint mixing/storage area and work areas.
• Assist the Carpentry and Systems’ Crews as necessary and directed by Paint Supervisor or Crew Foreman.
• Ten or more years of experience at a level equivalent to journeyman painter or similar work experience.
• Graduation from high school.
• Climb stairs and work from elevated surfaces including ladders, staging and roofs.
• Lift a maximum weight of 50 lbs. alone or larger weights in concert with others.
• Make fast, simple, repeated movements of fingers, hands and wrists.
• Keep hand and arm steady while moving arm or holding arm and hand in one position.
• Regularly bend, stretch and kneel.
• Integrate and work effectively as a member of the team.
• Manage time both in quality job performance and in using paid time off.
• Interact professionally with tenants and outside contacts.
• Ability to follow supervisor’s instructions and also work independently.
• Possess reliable transportation for traveling to and from job sites.
• 5+ years of project management experience
• 5+ years of personnel management experience
• Lead-based paint and RRP experience
• General property maintenance and light carpentry skills
• Experience working with historic properties and/or in museums
The position is 40 hours a week year round; Monday thru Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. EOE.
To apply please send résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position remains open until filled.
NRF is hiring a Director of Facilities. This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day facilities maintenance of NRF’s portfolio of properties.
NRF's colorful paint collection has a history all its own. Salve Regina University intern Elizabeth Baza took on the task of cataloging decades of paint information.
The Newport Restoration Foundation and the City of Newport are seeking qualified consultants or architectural firms to develop graphics for the City’s Design Guidelines for Elevating Historic Buildings.
Thank you for following along throughout Preservation Month as we shared updates on our preservation projects and the people who make them possible.