"No Rules: Fashion without Boundaries", A Fashion SymposiumSaturday, April 5, 2014 | 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Get Directions » to Rough Point
Newport, Rhode Island was historically a sporting arena for America's high society, and a place governed by strict social codes. But not everyone agreed to play by the rules. Join us for "No Rules: Fashion without Boundaries", a symposium exploring fashion designers and connoisseurs who refused to be constrained by social boundaries. This event is cosponsored by the Costume Society of America Northeastern Region, Newport Restoration Foundation and International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum. This symposium will feature scholarly lectures on a variety of fashion-related topics, as well as curator-led tours of the Ted Tinling collection at the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and the Rough Point Doris Duke fashion exhibit. Symposium attendees will be the first to view this extraordinary exhibit.
Registration includes breakfast, lunch, exhibit admission, collection tour and lectures. Space is limited so register today!
For questions contact Liz@newportrestoration.org or call (401) 846-4152 x122.
Morning: TENNIS HALL of FAME and MUSEUM, 194 Bellevue Ave
- Registration and refreshments
- Welcome and opening remarks
- Newport in Fashion: Dressed for Sport to American Sportswear Rebecca Kelly, Instructor, Fashion and Textile Studies Program, Fashion Institute of Technology
- Fancy Pants: Ted Tinling the Tennis Couturier Nicole Markham, Curator of Collections
- Behind-the-scenes collections and exhibit tour.
- Lunch in the US Tennis Association Wing
Afternoon Schedule: ROUGH POINT, 680 Bellevue Avenue
- View Exhibit No Rules: The Personal Style of Doris Duke
- No Rules: The Personal Style of Doris Duke Kristen Costa, Assistant Curator, NRF
- Trend-ology: Fashion Trends from Tartan to Unisex Ariele Elia, Assistant Curator of Costume and Textiles, The Museum at FIT
|Fashion Symposium - CSA Member||$60.00|
|Fashion Symposium - Student CSA member||$35.00|